Sunday, January 17, 2010

Welcome to the world







I love reading other people's birth stories so I'll share mine, it's not gonna be short!

Started having contractions last Tuesday morning, slowly but surely got they more and more intense. By 8:30pm they were every 5 mins and by time we got in the car to go to the hospital, they were coming almost every 3 mins, it was pretty painful.
Got there, they wheeled me into a room cause I was hurting so much, put me on a bed, started the IV (all while I was contracting every 2 mins).

Dan was right there rubbing me and holding my hand. I think I was squeezing his hand so hard it fell off! I was only dilated to a 4 at that point but it was hurting so bad they called for the epidural after I said it was time. Again, Dan was being so amazing during all of this. By now it's about 1am, the epidural was given-twice cause it only worked on one side at first-ugh, that sucked! I was feeling pretty good and relaxed, waiting for more dilating. Dan went and grabbed some food at like, 2:30am and then we both were able to sleep for a while because they had to give me some pitocin because the contractions were slowing down and I needed the help. So, finally at 8am I am dilated to a 10 and the nurse (who was so great) told me it was time to start pushing.

So, it's the nurse and Dan in the room for almost 4 hours while I push and push and push and lie on my side to get him to turn a bit and push and have to get oxygen and push and more oxygen. My doc came in about an hour before he finally came. Sam didn't want to come all the way out on his own and Steve felt like if I just kept pushing a bit more, he'd be low enough to use a vacuum and he'd come right on out. We talked about all the options (c-section, foreceps, vacuum, more pushing) and this seemed like the right thing since his HR kept dipping and he just needed a nudge. I love my doc Steve.

So, after 9 really, really hard pushes and my doc being so amazing and the vacuum, I hear "one more push and you'll have a baby, Liz" I just started sobbing and sobbing for joy and pushed him right out at 12:45pm!

That was THE hardest thing I have done in my life so far. I was just so exhausted, more than I've ever felt and I honestly don't know how I kept pushing for 5 hours, simply a miracle. Dan was right there, holding my left knee for every single push, every hour and got to see the whole thing (whether he wanted to or not!) We both cried when Sam was laid on my chest for the first time-something those who don't have kids will never feel or experience. It's the best feeling. I'm seeing a side of Dan that I love and adore and I think we both are strengthened as a couple and now as parents through that day.

Life is hard adjusting at home with feedings, jaundice, no sleep and trying to figure it out, but time will go by and things will get better, I'll feel better and more like myself if we just give it time. I'm looking on the bright side cause ever time I look at Sam and Dan, it's just so worth it.

Welcome Sam Miller Dean!

5 comments:

Teresa said...

This made me cry! So happy for you!

Heidi said...

Ah Liz, what a great story! You got me all teary eyed. I'm so, so happy for you guys.

Meg said...

LOVE that top picture - it's such a good visual description of how he really feels! I'm so excited for you! I can't believe you pushed for so long - you are a super star. Congrats to you both, he's simply adorable. I hope you feel better soon!

Kerrah said...

Oh I miss him! I want to come kiss on him! He looks so different from the day he was born. I can't wait to hold him again! Maybe tomorrow?

powstash said...

He is a very beautiful boy! I'm very happy for you two!